Pioneer athletes earn NJCAA academic honors
Five North Arkansas College athletes have received academic awards from the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) for their exemplary achievement during the 2013-14 academic year.
• Leslie Shrable, women’s softball, 3.91 GPA Superior Academic Achievement Award.
• John Turney, men’s baseball, 3.8 GPA Superior Academic Achievement Award.
• Leslie “Brooke” Malone, women’s basketball, 3.76 GPA Exemplary Academic Achievement Award.
• Joshua Elliott, men’s basketball, 3.7 GPA Exemplary Academic Achievement Award.
• Anthony Hutchinson, men’s baseball, 3.68 GPA Exemplary Academic Award.
“So many of our student athletes excel in the classroom,” Stacie Klott, athletic director at Northark says. “We are so proud of them for taking pride in their academics and this is a great way to recognize them for their efforts.”
NJCAA Academic Student-Athlete Pioneer basketball players shown from left to right are: Leslie “Brooke” Malone, Leslie Shrable and Joshua Elliott. Not pictured are Pioneer baseball players Anthony Hutchinson and John Turney.
The NJCAA recognizes teams with GPAs above 3.0.
The NJCAA Academic Student-Athlete Awards were previously known as NJCAA Academic All-American honors. The NJCAA has renamed its academic awards program to the following: NJCAA Pinnacle Award for Academic Excellence (4.00 GPA on a 4.00 scale); NJCAA Award for Superior Academic Achievement (3.80 to 3.99 GPA on a 4.00 scale); and NJCAA Award for Exemplary Academic Achievement (3.60 to 3.79 GPA on a 4.00 scale).