Get Started
Schedule Search
Academics & Programs
Catalogs & Schedules

About Us

change font size and print page Decrease Text Size Default Text Size Increase Text Size Print this Page

Disability Accommodations at North Arkansas College

North Arkansas College is committed to providing support needed for equal access and equal educational opportunity for each student. If you have a documented disabilities that could affect your pursuit of an education, you may receive appropriate accommodations by contacting the disability coordinator. Visit Kim Brecklein in the TRIO-SSS office M149, email
kbrecklein@northark.edu, or call 870-391-3338) for an appointment. Services for students with disabilities are tailored to meet individual needs and to comply with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and with subsequent state and federal legislation

Eligibility and Documentation

Eligibility for accommodations is determined by documentation and student interviews. When you come for your appointment, bring whatever papers you have to document your disability. A high school IEP is usually not sufficient by itself but may be helpful.


All records concerning student disabilities are protected by the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Your disability documentation and records of accommodations are kept completely separate from your academic records and under normal circumstances are not shared with any persons outside Northark. (Exceptions usually  involve danger to yourself or another person or compliance with court orders). Disability records to not follow you when you transfer to another college or university and are not shared with employers.

Differences between High School and College Accommodations

   The main differences between high school and college accommodations are as follows:

  1. College students must self-identify and provide documentation in order to be eligible to receive services.

  2. College students’ privacy is protected by FERPA; parents and guardians are not involved without a student’s written permission.

  3. Colleges provide reasonable accommodations to meet their established standards and requirements.

  4. Colleges do not prepare IEPs but do prepare accommodation plans.

To Obtain Accommodations

For additional information or to obtain accommodations, students should contact Kim Brecklein, 870-391-3338 (voice), 870-391-3111 (TDD) or kbrecklein@northark.edu or visit her office in room M184G on the South Campus.