Academic advising is more than just schedule building. Advising empowers you to create and achieve your educational goals while receiving accurate information and guidance. New and non-continuously enrolled students are required to visit with an institutional advisor before enrolling in classes. Depending on a student’s chosen major, he or she will then be assigned to a faculty member or program advisor to meet with during subsequent semesters. Students with less than 30 college credits are also required to visit with an advisor before enrollment. Advising is optional for currently enrolled students with 30 or more credits.
When to see an advisor:
- To explore interests and values to make a realistic and purposeful decision about your academic, career and life goals.
- To add and drop classes.
- To get referrals to campus offices, instructors as well as community organizations and public benefit offerings.
- To get an understanding of the College’s academic curricula, degree plans, policies and procedures.
- To change majors.
- For help in filling out a financial aid appeal.
- For any question or concern you may have. Advisors have lots of answers and know many people on campus. If an advisor doesn’t know an answer, you can count on them to find someone else who might know.
- Currently Enrolled Students: Advising Appointments are available beginning on Oct. 19.
- New Students: Advising Appointments are available beginning on Nov. 9.
- Walk-in Advising, no appointment needed: Monday, Nov. 14 - Friday, Nov. 18 from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and Tuesday, Jan. 3 - Friday, Jan. 6 from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Walk-in Advising for Extended Enrollment: Monday, Jan. 9 - Thursday, Jan. 12 from 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Friday, Jan. 13 from 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
The Advising Center is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and is located in room M184 on the South Campus. Call 870-391-3115 to schedule an appointment.
Also located inside the Advising Office
Tavonda Brown, Interim Vice President of Student Services/Director of Student Success, 870-391-3331
Rachel Nelson, Career Services Coordinator, 870-391-3546
Heather Cottrell, Student Success and Retention Administrative Assistant, VA Certifying Official & Veterans' Club Advisor, 870-391-3101